Thursday, June 19, 2014

My Five Guys


The world is an interesting place. The way in which people are placed into your life with such purpose is an eerily perfect thing. I have five guys - and they make all the difference. Now don't get me wrong, my life is filled with many incredible people - guys, gals, kiddos - you name it. But today, I was knocked upside the head and reminded of how purposefully these five were placed in my life.

My challenge is for you to open your eyes and realize the purpose that individuals, groups or a series of people have in your life, in order to better understand the greatness for which you are meant and the people who are around you to support you.

One is my dad. He is my champion. He'll talk to me anytime of the day or night - sometimes even in the middle of counseling sessions, even though I tell him I'm not sure if that's appropos. But I know he picks up because he cares and because he loves me. He wants to make sure everything is good and well - whether I'm 11, 31 or foreseeably, when I'm 81. He defines unconditional love. He's worked hard his whole life - from the farm to seminary to what he defines as retirement - and he works hard because he wants to be there, give and care for himself and those around him. He is a tremendous example. He makes me want to give, care and encourage more and more every day.

One is my brother. He is my protector and my hero. I don't know if he knows it, but he is. I look up to him so much. I am proud of his service and proud of the father he has become to his own kiddos. I remember the mischief he got into growing up, but I think he did it so that he could take care of getting in trouble and being the mischievous child, and make my sister (who is also my hero)  and I look a little more innocent. I don't have the chance to talk to him every day - sometimes not even every week - but the lessons he teaches me just by living the life he lives is more than enough. He makes me want to serve like he serves, to be goofy like he is and to drop wisdom like he has done for me. It's something I keep with me daily.

One is my business partner. This week, he referred to the two of us as Wayne and Garth. Here's what he said - PARTY TIME! EXCELLENT! These words became a battle cry for two of our generation's finest minds - Wayne and Garth - :). For two films, and countless sketches, these two found joy in the simplicity of loving great music, hanging with friends, and supporting each other. Fictional or not, they exhibited the best of the human spirit - a desire to be happy and share it with others. Maybe I am clutching at straws with this analogy, or maybe I am simply trying to say, "Party on, Tanya." He gets me. He knows what makes me tick. He knows when he's right, and he knows when I'm right. He complements me, and he compliments me. He cheers me on. He puts me in my place. Every once in a while, we fight like siblings - I think because we are closer to being siblings than business partners. He cherishes opportunity and he crafts it, as well. We do together. He makes me want to keep on keeping on and to energize with passion and vigor every day.

One is my person. He is by my side. He makes me stronger - physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. He makes me smarter. He trusts me and believes in me more than any dude who isn't my dad or brother ever has. He listens to me. A lot. I spend more time with him than anyone, because he makes me better. Every day, he makes me a better version of me. He doesn't get mad. He is humbly confident. His brain is giant and holds an enormous amount of info in it. He encouraged me to read The Alchemist (I think you should, too). It changed my life. He has changed so many lives - the snowball effect. It happens. He hears me out whether I am on a tirade or on the highest mountaintop, and then he reminds me that it's better to be on that mountaintop - whether he says it with words or silence. He makes me a better leader. Each day, I want to set an example for others - by coaching, teaching and loving - because of the example he sets in his patience, wisdom, compassion and strength. It makes me better every single day.

One is my favorite geek. He says the most entertaining things, and quite often, the most meaningful things. Today, he dropped the term "behavioral physics" into my world. He said - Action begets action. Activity begets activity. Density begets density. It was his response when I was talking to him about the beautiful collaboration of building businesses and the meaningful nature of relationships. Keep moving, keep acting, keep getting shit done (I believe he coined the phrase - 'Team Get Shit Done'), keep counting your blessings. He changes the world around him every day. Not sure if he knows that or not, but he does. He lets God lead. He knows the right things to say. I can laugh, cry, be profound (on occasion) and completely ridiculous (on other occasions) around him, and his genuine care shines through. He makes me want to mentor more, move more and help others to better their surroundings each day.

So there they are. My five guys. They don't come with burgers and fries - usually with chocolate covered cherries, olives, Mexican cokes, ribeye steaks and Pacificos - but I'll take it. I am proud of every single one of them, and they are proud of me. If I told you the specific reasons and stories about why each one of them is in my life, this would be a novel. And quite honestly, I think that purpose is continuing to unfold. But there is great purpose and reason that the Universe and the Great Engineer put them in my life. So, I'll leave it at this. I count my blessings that whether they are with me in the flesh or in spirit each day, they enhance my life and fill it with greatness.

To these five guys - thank you. To anyone else who takes a few to read this - find yours and thank them or take joy in knowing that you are likely one, too.

Five gals coming soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment