Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Communication is an Art

Every time you communicate with someone, your relationship changes.

I have no idea where I heard or read this. I even tried to Google it, and nothing comes up. But I know I saw it somewhere or heard it at some point recently, and it stuck.

It seems like an obvious statement, but I don't think it's something people really think about. On the other hand, it is something that perhaps people think about far too much. I've been told by more than one person lately that I need to say what I mean and not be afraid to just share what's on my mind. Some call it being passive, others may call it fear. For me, it is what it is, but I have definitely implemented communicating as directly as I can. (Hell - it's one of our company's core values - and all of those values bleed directly into my everyday life. So, undoubtedly, it's something that is important to me.)

As I've started to do this, that first statement at the top of the blog has been ringing around in my brain. It's so true.

Communication is an art. It really is. Some people are great at it, others average, and others, quite frankly, are just terrible at it.

Every single time we communicate with someone, we make a mark. We make an impact. We say something that is meaningful. And even if the words aren’t the most meaningful, we still say something. We are present. Where I think people fail in communication is when they are not present, when they don't really give a shit about the person with whom they are communicating or just don't care much about the relationship. But everything we say can (not always will, but can) make a mark - to the point that the relationship can either be strengthened, weakened or muddled. I'm talking about any kind of relationship.

It's important to be respectful and kind. Those are two things I believe in with everything that I am. It's also important to be straightforward and honest. People want to be treated like the gifts that they are, because God put each of us here to be a gift to someone or something in more ways than one. People also don't want to be lied to or given the run-around. Trust and belief are very powerful elements to give.

When you find the ones you trust and believe in, communicate and communicate often to strengthen that relationship. When you find those who are in your life for a time, season or reason, communicate well, because you never know what you could add to the person's life or what they may be able to teach you or add to yours - even if it's just for a few minutes. When you find those who you just don't mesh with, be cordial and respectful, but be honest with yourself that they may not be the best people to keep around on the reg.

Communication is something you can get better at every day. It takes a lot of practice. Never stop practicing. The lifers in your life will appreciate it. Communication can strengthen the bonds of ANY kind of relationship together - be it colleagues, family, friends or otherwise. Encourage when you want to, be respectful always. Make honesty the norm. Say what you need to say, and when you don't need to say anything, don't. Sometimes silence works, too. Just keep communicating.

No comments:

Post a Comment