Monday, June 27, 2022

What's Your Favorite Thing About You?


This world is crazy. It really is - when you think about the greater scope of the science behind it, how nature works together to continue to allow us to live on this revolving planet, it really is wild. Our brains are equally complex - to the nth degree. There is so much we don't know about them and a little that we do. I'll go out on a limb and say that as humans, we seem to overthink and be highly critical about ourselves, not often leaving enough room for the good. There should always be room for the good. Always. The good should take precedence over the not-so-good (even though feeling the not-so-good is important, too - the downs help us to better appreciate the ups). 

The good matters. I learned something cool about focusing on the positive recently, and I think I'm going to focus on it from here to Kingdom come. Because it's good to be alive, it's good to be who we are, and I think it's REALLY amazing to be able to like ourselves, even when we have moments of failure. There are SO MANY THINGS to like about you. Yes, you.

A couple of weeks ago, I asked one of my favorite humans on the planet what his favorite thing was about himself. I loved the answer so much and the unique nature of it that I asked someone else, then someone else, then more someone elses. I am going to keep adding to this list as I continue to ask people, because great thoughts breed great thoughts. And I'm here for it. 

I'm thankful to everyone who has responded to my question, even though for some, it may have felt like it came out of left field, was thought-provoking, unexpected, or tough to answer. I'm glad they did. Here's to the favorites: 

  • Don’t take myself too seriously and I’m the first to laugh at herself. 
  • Small things make me really happy.
  • I can relate to a lot of people and build relationships. 
  • Open-minded and a good listener of perspectives. 
  • Work ethic. 
  • My kindness.
  • Empathy, and a close second is bravery. 
  • The fact that I've cultivated a line-up of good people into my life. I eliminate the toxicity and focus on the positive. I also like that I still have all my hair at age 62. 
  • My ability to see the good in just about anyone. 
  • I’m sensitive, and it’s one of my superpowers. 
  • I think my sense of empathy. I’ve always been able to sense what others are feeling/thinking. I feel like that helps me in both personal and business relationships. I've become more empathetic as I've aged. No doubt about it. Life experiences and reflection on them has helped. 
  • My ability to thrive. 
  • My favorite quality is the genuine ability to connect with people. My favorite piece of my life is my family.
  • I can't stay mad or sad for too long...although I get tested a lot, but I always recognize the goodness around me.
  • My empathy.
  • My quick wit.
  • Love being a dad. My work is so flexible that I get to do a lot with my kids.  After school pick up, summers they are with me at the gym if my wife has to go in. We have never had a babysitter or daycare. It’s always been the wife and I with them. 
  • I actually think it's my personality. 
  • I'm not a quitter.
  • The ability to listen to others and make them feel like and know they are heard. 
  • That I'm aware I have a heart for people and things. 
  • My appreciation for life. 
  • My tenacity.
  • That I love my Lord, and I'm a giving person. Those are seriously interconnected. And I love my family! 
  • Sense of humor! 
  • My favorite thing about myself is my determination to keep moving forward. In times of hardship, I dwell and question the journey. However, because my purpose in life is strong, I use that to keep my head leveled and my heart focused on the bigger picture. I am determined to fulfill whatever it is that I want and strive for in this world. 
  • My compassion. 
  • I think it is my ability to empathize with people. I'm very proud of that. 
  • I am intuitive. 
  • I'm good with kids and able to help them through challenges. 
  • Problem solving and wanting the best for everyone. 
  • Being a good husband and dog dad. 
  • My determination to not be defeated. 
  • I'm a good mom! 
  • I'm a nice person, and I am a good listener.
  • My ability to overcome! 
  • My dependability. 
  • The love I have in my heart and in my life.
  • I really enjoy my sense of humor.
  • It's my compassion. I try to think of other people's well-being.
  • That I don't have too much pride. 
  • I'm very loyal to my friends and family. 
  • I like that I am empathetic, and I think that I am smart, and I like that. I like that I handle my shit. 
  • How good I am at multi-tasking. 
  • I am fascinated by nearly every one I meet. 
  • My heart.
  • My ability to never meet a stranger. 
  • My story, and my friends. 
  • My two spawn. Or my extra long fingers that get things out of the garbage disposal when dropped. 
  • My smile. 
  • I can fix most things. 
  • My personality. 
  • I'm a good dad. A good coach. Helping my kids (daughter and those I coach) achieve their goals is immensely satisfying. More so than for myself. 
  • Being tall is nice. 
  • My resilience. I've bounced back from some tough times with no help. 
  • My constant drive to keep pushing forward, in spite of the obstacles. 
  • My determination to succeed, no matter the odds or the naysayers. 
  • I'm a caring and genuine person, and I always see the good in people. 
  • My growth mindset. I'm always willing to improve and go further in my personal growth. 
  • I like being able to make friends with people of all ages. 
  • My willingness and desire to help others. 
  • It’s a bit of a love-hate, I think. That I have a drive to work toward something I’m passionate about, when most people would quit. At times, I wish I could shut it off, but most times it’s what keeps me going every day to do more and be more. 
  • I am flexible and can adapt to life changes and circumstances. 
  • My soft heart. 
  • I like that I'm a nice person, even when people don't deserve it or people perceive it as a weakness. I like it. And a little bit of exercise goes a long way with my body. :) 
  • That I'm extra about EVERYTHING! It's fun! 
  • My ability to teach and coach others. 
  • I'm smart and caring. 
  • I can sit down with anyone and have a conversation. 
  • My sense of humor! 
  • I think I appreciate that I do try to find the thing to be grateful for in every situation. If I couldn’t do that, I’d be a basket case.
  • My decision to stay sober.
  • My openness to new people, ideas, and things.
  • My faith in God.
  • My willingness to help just about anyone when they are in need.
  • My patience.
  • My inquisitive collection of friends and acquaintances
  • I would say that I'm always happy and have a very driven mindset. I have leadership qualities, and I always look at life positively and try to make the best of it.
  • I'm a good listener.
  • Overall, my favorite thing about myself is that I have friends all over the world...sometimes people I don't talk to for a while, but still love when I hear from them.
  • My favorite thing about me is the way I love people. When I love someone, I love hard - friendship, relationship -- doesn't matter.
  • My work ethic. 
  • The ability to not let stress get to me. 
  • My bubbliness! 
  • I'm passionate about everything I do, I have a big heart, and I love God. Any of those three.
  • I love life, and I love to see people around me having fun.
  • Being able to relate to a broad set of people...being a good communicator. My intuition. 
  • My heart, and its capacity to store so much love, compassion, and humility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment